I currently favor writing C, Swift and Python code on UNIX platforms. I enjoy and have professional experience developing embedded applications on the TI MSP430, ARM Cortex M3/M4 platforms and the Actel SmartFusion2.
I have strong verbal and written communication skills, enjoy working in groups and perform well under pressure. My strong analytical and problem solving skills have been an asset to learning new technologies and methodologies rapidly.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE (25+ years; last 10 years shown):
University of Minnesota, Space Physics, Minneapolis, MN 2004 – current
Ground Support Equipment Engineer (contractor)
- Develop ground-based software solutions, test automation, and hardware integration to support various satellite instruments the Space Physics department has either currently in-flight or in-development. NASA missions include: WIND, RBSP, STEREO, Solar Probe, Ulysses.
- Creating and maintaining an end-to-end telemetry de-commutation package complete with custom domain specific language.
- Creating and maintaining a tele-commanding software package with multiple language bindings.
- Creating and maintaining telemetry "housekeeping" applications on Apple platforms.
- Integrating third-party software and hardware solutions into existing integration and test processes.
- Creating embedded systems using ARM Cortex-M3/4 architecture
- Basic FPGA design and process automation using Microsemi SmartFusion2 and Actel solutions.
AMSAT-NA (Volunteer), Silver Spring, MD, 2013 – 2015
- Software Engineer
- Part of the FOX amateur satellite team.
- Developed tele-command software that emulates the Holtek HT12E hardware encoder.
- Built prototype encoder/decoder testing platform using SPI FSK transceivers and the MSP430. YouTube video
- Utilized Qt/C++ to implement.
Audiofile Engineering, Saint Paul, MN 2005 – 2016
Software Engineer (contractor)
- Added iAP2 support to RØDE Microphone's iXLR iOS accessory (an XLR-to-Lightning adapter implemented using an ARM Cortex M3).
- Worked on-site and remotely (Wellington, New Zealand) on the macOS screen capture product called iShowU Studio.
- Used Xcode and Cocoa/Objective-C to develop ShinyWhiteBox's new flagship product.
- Used Scrum methodology for divvying up tasks in a small team.
- Created user interface and network communication aspects of their voXover product using Xcode and Cocoa.
- Implemented and maintained shared Subversion repository.
- Implemented a dynamic documentation architecture using DocBook.
- Developed firmware updater for MIDIMobilizer (Line6) iPhone accessory that utilized the TI MSP430.
- Created iOS video capture library for RØDE.
- C, Python, Swift and SQL
- ARM Cortex M3/M4, Actel SmartFusion2, MSP430, PIC
- Emacs & Lisp
- Apple MFi
- Git & Subversion
- Networking Protocols
- OS Design and Internals
- Basic schematic capture and board layout (EAGLE)
- Basic analog design, soldering, analog test equipment, basic RF
- Basic digital design, i2c, SPI, RS232, basic USB, basic Verilog, test equipment
- Insatiable curiosity, self-educator and problem solver
- Organized, motivated, sociable
- Auto racing, specifically Formula-1
- Musician, play guitar
- Camping and hiking
- Greek & Roman history
- Sci-Fi novel geek
- Voracious reader